So,a is the thing among the adolescents, my kids are fully into the idea of dying their hair funky colors. I know many parents that would be and totally are against this whole fad with a vengeance. The way I see it, if this is what my kids want to do to express their individuality, so be it. There are far worse things they could be doing as they attempt to figure out who they are. Luckily, the faculty and staff at their respective schools, who could be real stickers about this, are willing to put up with this. I love that my kids revel in their own uniqueness and aren't afraid to be themselves. For those that don't work with kids and/or don't have teenagers, this is a big deal. Adolescence is that scary time when we feel a pressure to conform, to fit in so we don't get teased and/or ostracized, or worse. It takes a lot of guys to be willing to risk that to be oneself, so I am very proud of my kids for their bravery and self confidence. Keep it up kiddos!
Thursday, May 23, 2013
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Well, I passed my background check, like there was any doubt. My official start date will be the 29th. I will be working at an all boss juvenile correction facility. Now, before you start trying to picture me all prison guard style, understand that this I'd not that kind of facility.
In Missouri, we do juvenile corrections in a rather unique and forward thinking way. Dress is casual, jeans and tshirts, for us and for the boys. The focus is on rehabilitation and reintegration into the community through counseling and life skills. The boys don't even have sentence limits, they're there until they reform or turn 18, whichever comes first.
My specific job will be to help lead one of their family groups. The boys are placed into groups and they do everything with their groups: eat, chores, school, therapy, etc. The group leaders are consistent to each group, creating an environment of routine and trust. For our lunch break, since we have to eat with the boys while they eat, our meals are free!
I am already very excited about this job. How could I not be excited about a place where even the "tough guys" get goodnight hugs every night?!
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
So Mike and I got new phones and this is my first real smartphone. Granted they won't be long diatribes out epic stories, but perhaps with this new on the go access to the Web, and more specifically my blog,I may begin posting again. Then again, what I want to say could just end up on my Facebook, haha. I'll admit it will take some getting used to, so the posts I make won't be substantial by any stretch of the imagination, but this whole Swype thing well certainly make it easier. Now,I Weiner if it will let me dictate my blog posts, because that could end up very interesting.
Monday, April 15, 2013
The idea behind this meme, from what I gathered on their page, is to make a list for a given topic. This week's topic is to come up with ten chapter titles for your life story.
1. Snapshots and Glimpses
- the bits and pieces that I can recall from birth until junior high school (I have almost no memories of this part of my life)
2. Where I Come From
- every good biography needs a background chapter to help establish parameters and information necessary for the telling of the rest of the story
3. Growing Up Too Fast
- junior high is hard enough, but when major disaster strikes, it becomes downright oppressive
4. Wallflowers Have Feelings Too
- the emotional rollercoaster and messed up mixture of hormones, depression, and memories that was my adolesence
5. The Streets of San Diego
- my first foray into college courses, serious relationships, and the downside of being manipulated into making my life fall apart
6. Anchors Aweigh
- how enlisting in the Navy saved and changed my life
7. Love Means Chasing You Across Half the Country
- the early years of my marriage, when I almost threw the whole thing away, except that Michael wouldn't let me
8. Back to Basics
- refocusing my life on my family and future
9. Learning From Past Mistakes
- discovering a calling and new ambition in life while, at the same time, old ghosts come back to haunt as depression reemerges and becomes harder to hide
10. Looking Forward
- hopes and dreams for the future
Saturday, April 13, 2013
I am so gonna hurt tomorrow.
Tuesday, April 9, 2013
According to that site, I am right on the borderline for the first three categories, but deeply ingrained in my position for the fourth. They offer a comparison of the different variables side by side though, and after honest consideration, I believe I am