Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Thank you, little sister, thank you very much

My siblings and I in reverse birth order, summer 2010
It is August 1.

In 15 days it will be my 15th anniversary.

In 25 days it will be my 37th birthday.

I am not ashamed of my age, by the way, I embrace it. I am the oldest of four children. As you can see by the picture on the right, we're not ordinary people, by any stretch of the imagination. The second of us is the sister I call Rainbow, she's the one in the pale blue tank. The third of us is the sister I call Crazy, not because she's nuts, even though she is, but because my kids call her Crazy Aunt ____, where the blank is her name. The fourth of us is our baby brother, whom I refer to as Nomad due to his incessant need to travel and never stay in one place very long. I should probably change that name though, he's been living with our mom for a couple years now...

Anyway.

package contents
also in the package
Today, as I was writing my previous blog post, I spotted movement out of the corner of my eye and it was the mailman, turning his truck around in the driveway across the street. He doesn't normally do this, you see, which is why it was strange. I immediately realized that the package I was expecting had likely been dropped off, sprang from my chair in as best a fashion as my defiant body would allow, and retrieved the box from my front porch. I knew this package was coming because Crazy has posted something on my Facebook wall on Monday that alerted me to its imminent arrival. It's supposed to be for my birthday, but she and I know full well it wasn't about to wait that long. I opened it and found it filled with all sorts of goodies! My sister knows me too well, and this is proven by what was inside. Yes, yes, I know the pictures are small. Click on them to see bigger images, but be sure you click for it to open in a new tab, because trust me, you want to come back to see what else I have to say about what was in there. If you are particularly curious as to what any of these items are, just ask me in the comments and I will respond in an email (unless you have that noreply at blogger dot whatsit address, in which case, I suggest you fix that).

If you notice, in the middle of the picture on the right, there is a tiny, metallic object. This is the thing I was waiting for most. Not because of what it is, but because of what it represents. I cannot explain it any better than my sister did when she posted on my Facebook, however, so I will let her words do the explaining. All I can say is, thank you little sister, thank you very much.

The following was posted by my sister onto my Facebook page on Monday, July 30:
This is a true story.
When I was 18 my family was going through a difficult time. We were all experiencing a loss of faith and with the Holiday season upon us it seemed as if we had forgotten what the purpose of the Christmas Season was. In a desperate attempt to find my place I went to the midnight mass at church. I was alone, young, and lost. I sat alone in the last row, hiding in a dark corner, when one of the Ushers tapped me on the shoulder. He said, “You can’t sit here alone, come up here.” He directed me toward the front and sat me with his wife and two grown children. I had seen this man and his wife from time to time but didn't know them personally. The mass started and went as these things usually do, but as people were approaching the alter for mass I had one of those moments.
Some may know the moments I am talking about, and others will just have to go with me on this. As I gazed at the image of Christ on the cross and considered the sacrifices he made for us I felt…humbled. I considered how one little baby could give up so much for so many, and how he did not allow pride to waylay his purpose. It occurred to me that with all the troubles and turmoil in my life it was nothing compared to the challenges he faced. I bowed my head in shame. It was shame for my selfish thoughts and feelings. It was shame for my trivial worries and distracts. It was shame for my lack of faith. Then the tears came.
I can still remember the smell of incense, the gentle singing of the choir, and the evening chill in the air. What I can’t remember is why I felt I had to hide my tears from the world. I buried my head in my arms like I was praying and tried to hide the fact that I was…what I was. They say the Lord works in mysterious ways. I have no doubt about that. The Usher’s wife, sitting beside me, was given insight into my plight that night. She was given sight into my turmoil.
I felt her put an arm around me, open my hand, and press something small into my palm. I can still remember what she said to me, “She came to me when I was in need. It is time for her to help another.” I opened my fingers and looked at the small golden pin in my hand. The angel in my hand was worn, but loved. Her arms outstretched, she was the embrace I needed. It was the Lord working his ways to give me the hug I needed. It was the Lord saying to me, “Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:6,7)
A few weeks later I tried to give the pin back to her owner. She would not accept the gift. She told me when the time is right I would know, and pass her on to another. The time has come for the pin to find a new home. My sister and I were never close growing up, but as we get older she and I have grown closer. My sister has felt the difficulty of our current economy as much as we all have, and she is in need of help. I have seen people turn aside the generosity of others because of pride. Just as a stranger was made an instrument of the Lord, so I have become an instrument as well. When my sister opens her birthday package in a few days she will find a treasure. I know she will read this message before she gets the package, but the anticipation will be like a hug from the Lord as she waits. My only request is that she continues this message. “She came to me when I was in need. It is time for her to help another.”
The lessons here, you can never be too humble before the Lord. You are an instrument for the Lord’s work as much as you will be influenced by those who are his instruments.
-JM, August, 2012




I love you JM.

2 comments:

  1. This...this is so amazing and encouraging. I needed to hear some things from that message and it never ceases to amaze me how far-reaching the Lord's are.

    I pray you will find the help, the peace, the lifting up that you need.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate your feedback.